1. Land Registry Site (May2013)

1. Land Registry Site (May2013)

Your property boundaries

Most land in England and Wales is registered with general boundaries that show the extent of the land.

When a property is registered, Land Registry creates a drawing called a ‘title plan’. This will only show the general boundaries of the property, unless the previous owners had worked out the exact boundaries.

You can get a copy of the title plan for any registered property in England and Wales.

You can also find land or property boundaries in Scotland and Northern Ireland.

Boundary agreements

You and your neighbours can decide where the boundaries between your properties are by making a boundary agreement. Check your deeds first to see if there are any existing boundary agreements on any of your properties. You can make a new agreement if there aren’t.

If possible, you should have a copy of your boundary agreement in writing, signed by you and your neighbours.

Boundary features

A boundary feature is any structure that separates your property from your neighbour’s, eg a fence, wall or hedge. There are no laws about who owns these or which side of the boundary feature you’re responsible for – you can decide this in your boundary agreement.

Working out the exact boundary

You can apply to set the exact boundary for your land or property if you want to.

You should get as much information as possible from your title plan, registry documents and other documentation before you apply. You can get information about neighbouring properties from the Land Registry.

You can apply to have your boundary agreement added to the title plan of your and your neighbours’ properties. Fill in form AP1 and send it to Land Registry with a copy of the boundary agreement and the appropriate fee.

You can also ask a surveyor to draw up a detailed plan and send this to Land Registry, with a completed application to determine the exact line of a boundary, £90 fee and any agreements with neighbours.

Neighbour disputes about boundaries

If you haven’t sent a signed agreement from your neighbours with your application, Land Registry will contact them to check they’re happy with your plan.

Land Registry will refer the dispute to the First-Tier Tribunal (Property Chamber – Land Registration) if you and your neighbour can’t agree on the boundaries. The tribunal will make a decision on what should happen – you may have to go to a hearing.

Find out more about property disputes and boundaries from Land Registry.

Registration mistakes

If you think there’s a mistake in your registration, write to Land Registry and explain what’s wrong.

Land Registry
Citizen Centre

This post is one of thirteen posts that are listed in a menu on my Home Page to cover all the required actions and documents that are required to resolve Boundary Disputes.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.